When a visitor arrives on your site they will stay for an effectively random amount of time and then they will go again. If you want to profit from your visitors attendance to your site (even if that profit is to increase signed up members) you need to make a plan. In order to do this you need to be able to answer some key questions. Your answers will form the foundation for your plan:
- What do you want the visitor to do?
- Why do you want them to do that?
- Is that really want you want?
- How will you get your visitor to carry out the action you desire?
- How will you get them to stay long enough to do so?
- What signifies success in your aims?
- What could stop a visitor reaching that goal?
Once you have answered these questions you will be significantly nearer to being able to convert a real traffic stream into real customers. Before any SEO goes on you will need to have removed or reduced every conceivable obstacle from the path of potential leads and customers including the sales process itself. The result should be that the the percentage of visitors that arrive and buy something should be much higher.